- Slumdog Millionaire was a pretty good movie. But 8 Oscars good? No way. What other movies won 8 Oscars? Amadeus. From Here to Eternity. On the Waterfront. Gone With the Wind. Is history going to be as kind to Slumdog Millionaire as it has been to them? I don’t think so.
- I’m not sure how I didn’t notice this before the show, but there were only three nominees for Best Song? And two of them were from Slumdog? And Bruce didn’t get nominated? Am I missing something?
- Hugh Jackman’s opening number was funny. Especially Anne Hathaway as Nixon. And the whole “I haven’t seen The Reader thing. Don’t worry Hugh. Nobody has.
- Ben Stiller was mildly amusing. Let’s not give him any more credit than that.
- The schtick of having former winners come out and say something nice about the nominees was kind of cool. Anne Hathaway looked like it was the happiest moment of her life. Which is nice, since she lost.
- Overall it was a pretty weak year for movies. I’ve seen two of the Best Picture nominees (Slumdog Millionaire and Frost/Nixon), and neither blew me away. I want to see another (Milk). And I have no interest at all in the other two. Last year we had two instant classics (No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood), a quirky fun movie (Juno), and a really good thriller (Michael Clayton). Really, couldn’t ANY of them won this year?
- Three of my Top 5 movies from last year won awards: Man on Wire won Best Documentary, Wall-E won Best Animated Feature, and The Dark Knight picked up two awards. Do I know how to pick them or what?
- I guess that leaked list of winners was full of shit…
- Best moment of the night? The Japanese dude that won for Best Animated Short, gave a heartfelt speech in English, which was clearly difficult for him, and ended it with “Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto”. Awesome.
I didn’t even think of this at the time, but once I had it pointed out to me I was outraged. Dan LaFontaine wasn’t honored during the In Memorium montage. WTF? The guy voices just about every movie trailer, AND announces The Oscars every year and you can’t put him in your tribute? For shame Academy, for shame.