Well this is a sad day indeed. Curtis Allina, the man responsible for creating the mighty Pez Dispenser and sharing its joy with the world, died at age 87. His invention brought joy to children and a creepy, obsessive hobby to many adults desperate to cling to the last vestiges of the pure bliss of childhood.
To celebrate Allina’s legacy, here are a few fun Pez facts:
- The name “Pez” is derived from the German word for “peppermint”, “Pfefferminze”
- It was originally marketed to adults
- Allina added the cool dispenser in 1955 and they started marketing them to kids
- A Tweety Bird Pez dispenser was at the center of one of the best episodes of Seinfeld EVER
- The most expensive Pez dispenser is from the 1982 World’s Fair, and it sold on eBay in 2006 for over $32,000. Seriously.
Farewell Curtis, and either thank you for bringing joy to children across the world, or screw you for unleashing an incredibly irritating hobby on the world.